Seasonal Coordinator, Walk MS
Company: National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Posted on: January 13, 2020
The temporary Walk Coordinator will serve as primary point of
contact for Walk MS in Dubuque. Utilizing society-wide resources
and templates, this role is responsible for walk event logistics,
marketing, securing sponsorships, in-kind donations, volunteer
recruitment and day of implementation of the event. The Walk
Coordinator reports to the Special Events Manager and will provide
scheduled updates of progress and discuss any issues pertaining to
the event with the manager. This position works to ensure a great
experience for participants as well as drive fundraising efforts.
Coordinators will work approximately three to 20 hours per week.
This temporary position will run through May 2020. Essential
- Secure a registration start/finish location using established
- Organize donated or reduced cost rentals of port-a-potties,
trash bins, tables, chairs, etc.
- Design safe, accessible and scenic routes - a one-mile route,
and a longer route between 3 and 5 miles following the established
- Locate and secure a start/finish site and rest stops a long the
- Complete and provide accessibility report for the route,
start/finish site and rest stops.
- Obtain all necessary permits and/or contracts and forward to
Special Event Manager for record retention.
- Ensure route safety by obtaining radios, support vehicles,
intersection safety and marking the route with arrows.
- Secure in-kind media, entertainment and food.
- Set-up and tear down the start/finish site, rest stops, lunch
and finish line one day prior to or day of event.
- Arrange and conduct training for volunteers an hour or two
before start time.
- Execute event and troubleshoot as issues arise.
- Network with and thank participants, volunteers and sponsors.
- Secure in-kind event food (snacks, fruit, water, breakfast
- Secure media sponsors in TV, print and radio.
- Secure cash and in-kind (cost relieving event items) sponsors.
- Promote the Walk MS by distributing branded print materials in
local businesses in accordance with society wide established
- Work with local media to create publicity and promotion in the
- Plan and coordinate a MS Awareness Week activity or event using
society-wide templates and guidance.
- Brainstorm and implement ideas to attain and surpass walk sites
fundraising and participant goals 4. Volunteer Recruitment and
- Secure volunteer committee and delegate projects; Increase the
number of Society volunteers, recognizing and recruiting talent
(Managing Relationships, Being Open and Receptie)
- Engage volunteers, effectively communicating and facilitating
meaningful opportunities across all functions. (Communication);
Recruit volunteers for marketing materials distribution.
- Create a volunteer schedule for day of the event.
- Recruit, assign and train volunteers for the day of the
- Check volunteers in at the event and distribute volunteer
- Turn in a copy of the volunteer schedule to the Upper Midwest
Chapter to enter into volunteer database; Cultivate volunteers,
seeking and providing feedback and sharing opportunities for
reciprocal growth and learning. We recognize the contributions of
all volunteers. (Communication, Inspiring Others, People
Management, Learning, Being Open and Receptive 5. Other
- Attend MS Walk coordinator meeting in the fall or spring.
- Attend two to three conference calls throughout the year.
- Read and respond to weekly emails with important deadlines and
- Work with chapter staff to assure the success of the Walk
- Follow the timeline and meet all deadlines.
- Return correspondences by phone or email with in 24 hours.
- Keep scheduled site visits and phone meetings with chapter
- Serve as a good steward of all chapter resources - time, money,
equipment and materials.
Keywords: National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Dubuque , Seasonal Coordinator, Walk MS, Other , Dubuque, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!