Company: Metcalfe's Market
Posted on: May 25, 2019
Cheese Monger (Specialty Cheese Manager) Full-time Madison, WI -
Hilldale location Availability:
- Flexibility required during department hours of 8a to 7p,
including weekends and holidays. Summary: The Cheese Monger directs
and coordinates activities involved with the production, sale and
or distribution of Metcalfe's Market Specialty Cheese products.
Ensures hiring, training and supervision of the staff. Facilitates
sales goals, inventory rotation, scheduling, safety and sanitation
and any division of responsibility assigned by the store manager.
The Cheese Monger is required to assist customers and maintain
complaint resolution with an energetic demeanor. This position
requires adhering to all procedural guidelines and established
practices set by Metcalfe's Market. This position requires working
mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, based on department
staffing requirements. Essential Duties:
- Supports the department's staff efforts and work through timely
response to questions, with a caring and appreciative attitude and
demonstrated effectiveness in dealing with employee issues.
- Determines variety and quantity of products and department
supplies to be ordered or produced, according to orders and/or
- Monitor and control department costs and expenses; includes
maintaining proper ordering and inventory control, ensuring proper
weighing procedures, controlling shrink, and monitoring
- Conducts inventories and cycle counts as required.
- Develops and achieves the departmental budget, such as
departmental contribution to overhead, margin, gross profit, labor
and purchase goals
- Directs and schedules department personnel and activities;
- Provides insight and input in department personnel decisions
such as hire, discipline, reward and termination.
- Ensures proper training to all employees.
- Maintains accurate personnel records for all direct
- Maintains a safe work environment for employees, vendors and
- Observes sales floor and back stock conditions; takes action to
correct areas of opportunity.
- Monitors and addresses customer issues or questions.
- Sustains a high level of product knowledge and product
- Works toward continuous quality improvement.
- Stays current with changing company technology, including
- Leads, coaches, teaches and reinforces Metcalfe's culture,
customer service, and performance expectations to all Department
- Upholds, supports, and promotes all company policies and
- Follows safe food handling and local health department
- Other duties as assigned. Supervisory Responsibilities: The
Cheese Monger has supervisory responsibility for the Specialty
Cheese Department including approximately five (5) direct reports.
- High School diploma/equivalent required, Associate's degree
(A.A.) or technical school training preferred.
- One or more years of previous grocery, restaurant or kitchen
- One or more years of management or supervisory experience in a
fast-paced retail environment.
- Must have strong people management skills.
- Good oral and written communication skills and the ability to
handle a diverse crew in a stressful environment.
- Thorough knowledge of the retail food business, thorough
knowledge of perishable department operations, merchandising
skills, must be able to make timely and effective decisions.
- Ability to work well under pressure and in a diverse,
fast-paced and stressful environment.
- Knowledge of technology, the use of a computer, and Microsoft
Office- More specifically, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Food Safety Certification Required, Metcalfe's will help
certify if needed.
Keywords: Metcalfe's Market, Dubuque , Cheese Monger, Hospitality & Tourism , Madison, Iowa
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!